Saturday, June 10, 2023

The Saturday Diaries vol. 3

{via}

Oh, I've missed this space this week. Even if nothing was published, towards the end of May I was sitting down each day to clack fingers against my ancient Mac keyboard in a soothing morning rhythm. À cause de mes reports cette semaine, this ritual fell by the wayside. It feels so good to be back at the kitchen table, sifting through my brain for something to write about. I have greeted my old frenemies, Blank Page and Ineptitude, with a kiss this morning. 

Saturday mornings allow for lingering over quiet times and that is what I did today. I slowly prayed through my liturgy, finished one journal and started a new one, read a chunk of Genesis and finished off The Father Heart of God. This last experience in particular, reading through the last section of Floyd McClung's book, provided a moment of being "seen" by God that I have been yearning for. It also opened my eyes to other moments in which God has "seen" me - in exactly the right way - over the past few weeks. I had been expecting something different and experienced the frustration of unmet expectation as a result, but God has so carefully used books, my favourite medium, to speak to me. I'm overflowing with gratitude at God's patience and kindness this morning, and looking forward to giving thanks for all the good things I know this Sabbath will hold.

Onto some bits and pieces from this week...

Reading: This Must Be The Place by Maggie O'Farrell (This is my fifth Maggie O'Farrell and I will be hunting down all of her others - she's become one of my favourite writers) and Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson (the cadence of Woodson's prose is mesmerising)

Watching: The final season of Never Have I Ever. I'm a few episodes in and finding the final season less zesty than its predecessors, but still very much enjoying it. I'm also looking forward to watching Nicole Holofcener's Enough Said at some point this weekend. 

Experiencing: I could have included this under "watching" but that doesn't seem all-encompassing enough for what I'm about to type... I am going to see Hamilton tonight! Live!! Given my long-running love for this musical (since before it became a fad, thank you very much), I'm prepared to use even more exclamation marks to cap off this paragraph!!!!

Hoping your Saturday is filled with delight and beauty, friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment