Saturday, September 2, 2023

The Saturday Diaries vol. 6

The sun is shining! I am wearing a single layer! It is sabbath! Each of these statements, in my current happy state, merits the use of an exclamation mark. 

It has already been a beautiful, albeit unexpected morning. I padded upstairs at 6:40 for a slow quiet time, thinking I'd be safe to pad back downstairs in my pyjamas at 8:00, when at 7:40, I heard a definitive knock on the door. 

One of my great goals in life is to never be seen in my dressing gown by anyone I don't know reeeeaaally well, so naturally this prompted some panic. I got over it pretty quickly, though, once I realised that the person at the door was most probably our new flatmate, N, and that no-one else was awake to greet her. Sure enough, I opened the door to find the lovely N on the other side, and she pretended it was no problem to see me in my crumpled dressing gown with hair sticking in all directions. 

I gave her a quick tour and we headed out to our neighbourhood cafe with S. Coffee and chats abounded, boding good things for the months to come. 

*****

I'm going to take a moment here to note that I'm really proud of this week. I made it through my first school production as a new teacher, a production that has haunted much of my waking and sleeping for the past several weeks. The kids were tired, but happy, at the end of it all, and so was I. I'm looking forward to a return to normalcy next week, and have plans to get things into order tomorrow, after a good rest today. 

But this was also a week in which - and I can't quite believe I'm saying this - I wrote for 20 minutes every morning and read for 20 minutes after school each day. Neither the writing nor reading are going to have any great impact on the world, but to cross off those five consecutive weekdays in one of the busiest weeks of the year feels like a huge accomplishment. I'm proud, and I can't wait to cross off more days of the same next week. 

Here's a brief recap of what I've been doing in this happy week. 

Reading: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott - long overdue, but such a delight to have made it to Anne's wisdom now. It's a book I'll be returning to as I seek to build my writing habit up over the next several months. I've designated September as a month of re-reading and I'm kicking it off by returning to Lauren Graham's Someday, Someday, Maybe - an old favourite that I haven't read since I was about 19. Franny's combination of humour, ambition and self-doubt is so relatable it makes my heart squeeze. I'm looking forward to getting through 1995 with her once again. 

Watching: I rewatched About Time at a young adults' movie night last night, and although the time-travel element completely falls apart the minute you give it the slightest bit of thought, the dialogue is quippy and the relationships are warm - I loved it on a second viewing. 

Listening to: Reflecting Light by Sam Phillips, on account of it being my classes' production song. Shockingly, after listening to it 104 times over the past few weeks, I'm still not sick of it - a sign of a good song. 

Happy Saturday, friends! I'm off to enjoy the sunshine x 

No comments:

Post a Comment